I’ve had this list sitting around for a while (in case I ever want to try something new) and I thought I’d share it, because why the hell not, everybody loves free stuff. I’ve only used a couple, so for all I know these could be complete shit. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW, RIGHT?
*= available for both windows and mac os
GIMP * - Does a lot of the same stuff as Photoshop.
FireAlpaca * - Similar to Paint Tool Sai, so it’s a good alternative for Mac users.
Autodesk Sketchbook Copic Edition * - Simulates the look of copic markers.
MyPaint * - Basic stuff, nothing fancy.
Pinta * - Drawing program modeled after paint.NET.
Inkscape * - Vector/drawing program meant to be similar to Illustrator.
ArtRage * - Digital painting program; you can get the trimmed down version for free or buy the full version with more features.
Sumo Paint * - In-browser drawing app.
DAZ Studio * - Some sort of 3D model poser thing.
Pencil * - Software for animating.
SketchUp * - Tool for making 3D models. Looks handy for stuff like architectural drawings.
Blender * - Pretty popular 3D software.
escape motions * - Some browser apps, fun to fiddle with when you’re bored (the fluid fire simulation is pretty cool imo).
Twistedbrush (Pixarra) - Seems to be meant for replicating the look of traditional media.
Pixia/Phierha - A popular program in Japan, according to the website.
Krita - This was originally made for Linux and it looks like the developers haven’t ironed out all of the kinks in the Windows installer.
Artweaver - Another trimmed down free thing if you don’t want to buy the full program.
paint.NET - Pretty basic kit, probably good for simple stuff.
Project Dogwaffle - I’m not sure what this one is all about because I couldn’t stop laughing at the terrible website.
Speedy Painter - Lightweight digital painting program.
mtPaint - Originally made for pixel art; simple enough to run on older computers.
Chasys Draw IES - Supposed to be some sort of drawing+image editor thing.
PaintRibbon - Seems to be another plain old basic image editor.
DrawPlus - Looks like it’s made for graphic design and vector stuff.
SmoothDraw - I’m guessing this is a basic thing for people who don’t want to bother with complicated stuff.
Might be useful for some of you guys! Also you should all check out Alchemy, too. It’s really fun to mess around with.
I can vouch for SAI, GIMP, Blender, Sketch up, and while I haven’t tried it, I want to point out Alpaca simply because SAI isn’t on MAC OSX and Alpaca is.
This is a gooood list of programs! Check’em out if you can’t get your hands on photoshop.
- pottedvase reblogged this from bakrua
- 30minutenovel reblogged this from how-to-art
- anhedonia6 likes this
- mechon12 likes this
- askconperanisfm likes this
- princesshorse likes this
- meecheel reblogged this from how-to-art
- siralin likes this
- the-goat-in-the-boat likes this
- snipehunt reblogged this from i-hoard-notebooks
- strange-little-orange likes this
- niceonehilaryfaye likes this
- queenevilfluffy likes this
- infauxmercial likes this
- janesprinkles likes this
- nnil-admirari likes this
- red-hammer-1 likes this
- oliverskates likes this
- zet-su-bou likes this
- hauntedharlequiinn likes this
- chasing-ghostts reblogged this from wispering-ass
- chut-je-dors reblogged this from grawly
- thanksdumbledork likes this
- an0nym0uslurker likes this
- eckleburgs-eyes likes this
- wispering-ass reblogged this from how-to-art
- pikwachu likes this
- humours likes this
- better-by-the-pound likes this
- i-hoard-notebooks reblogged this from how-to-art
- astro-drea likes this
- weirderethings reblogged this from how-to-art
- weirderethings likes this
- aleksprince likes this
- alexanderrsupertrampp likes this
- thesexpixie likes this
- battleready likes this
- spaceyoddity likes this
- crudecutie likes this
- beateasea likes this
- lovelygun likes this
- denseharmonies likes this
- b0ss-n00b likes this
- vupset reblogged this from how-to-art
- vupset likes this
- thefriendlyisland likes this
- moon-drool likes this
- vuota likes this
- shvitzpits likes this
- welovefine likes this